Author Topic: An error occured while saving the config file '/openbox/lxde-rc.xml'  (Read 3917 times)

freqrush

In AVLinux2rc2, to get more Desktops, I go to
Remastersys control panel > Desktop Settings > Window Manager Settings > Desktops
and change the 'Number of Desktops'. Each time I change that number, I get this error dialog:

An error occured while saving the config file '/openbox/lxde-rc.xml'

When I run it with sudo from the terminal:

pcuser@avl:~$ sudo obconf

(obconf:5291): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(obconf:5291): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(obconf:5291): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new: assertion `height > 0' failed

(obconf:5291): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_fill: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(obconf:5291): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_copy_area: assertion `src_pixbuf != NULL' failed

(obconf:5291): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new: assertion `height > 0' failed

(obconf:5291): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_fill: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(obconf:5291): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_copy_area: assertion `src_pixbuf != NULL' failed

and I get an obconf window where there are 6 desktops, while at startup I always have 2 Desktops and currently (during this session changed it to) 3 desktops. When I changed the number from 6 to 5, I got 5 desktops. I'll reboot now to see if the change is still there. If it is, the solution is to run obconf as root, instead of using the Mastersys control panel to get to that dialog (as normal user).

edit: after rebooting, I get 2 Desktops again. So here's my question: is this normal or is it something wrong in my install?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:23:27 AM by freqrush »

freqrush

Re: An error occured while saving the config file '/openbox/lxde-rc.xml'
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
also ...

/home/pcuser/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml line 108 says "    <number>6</number>"
/openbox/lxde-rc.xml line 108 says "    <number>5</number>"

Any ideas why I get only 2 Desktops when I login?

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
Hello,

Openbox has kind of a "kludgy" relationship with LXDE, I find it to be a pain in the neck to be honest unfortunately there are not many light alternatives that are much better, I tried sawfish and some of the others but was not impressed either. I honestly don't know why obconf won't write a new config file for itself, I've tried removing the config files and running obconf and still no dice, obconf was totally broken for quite a while during the development of AV Linux 3.0 and now will run again in 3.01 however it STILL doesn't save it's configuration.
Openbox still doesn't like quite a few Qt3 and Qt4 applications and won't render windows for them unless maximized . I personally use Compiz to avoid the issues with Openbox but that is a bandaid solution and only works with 3D Graphics drivers.

As for the number of desktops that seems to be a common complaint with Openbox as well, it seems to be hardwired for 2 even if the the config file is edited by hand which you have indicated. I'm not trying to duck your question but this issue is more related to Openbox/LXDE than AV Linux, I am aware of it and find it annoying as well but your feedback on this would probably have more effect on the LXDE forum here: http://forum.lxde.org/viewforum.php?f=8

AV Linux, Proudly created with Remastersys: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

freqrush

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:37:41 PM »
I found it :)
pcuser@avl:~$ gedit .config/openbox/rc.xml
line nr 99:
<desktops>
    <!-- this stuff is only used at startup, pagers allow you to change them
       during a session

these are default values to use when other ones are not already set
       by other applications, or saved in your session

use obconf if you want to change these without having to log out
       and back in -->
    <number>2</number>

I changed this to
    <number>6</number>

And now, when I login, I get 6 desktops.

So, if users want to keep their number of desktops (or any other setting there), just edit ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml , logout and login.